Monday, April 28, 2008

Other Plans by Susan Shull

This was going to be my breakout year. No more being a scaredy cat. This year I was going to go out on a limb, take a walk on the wild side (in the best possible way, of course), go for the gusto! Things haven’t turned out quite like I planned.

Last summer, I was invited to join a group of women from all across the United States to travel to Uganda in June 2008 to establish libraries in underprivileged schools. We would also be free to share the gospel with the children. I love books and one of my favorite things is helping kids find books that they enjoy. Imagine my excitement when I was invited on this trip! I got my passport, figured out the money, and was ready to begin the series of shots required when the negative signs began pouring in with a vengeance.

First, Brady and Alissa began reading magazine articles describing atrocities committed against women. Guess where? Uganda. My boys began questioning my judgment about the trip, but bless Brad’s heart! He just kept still. Then I received a bulletin from the Illinois Department of Public Health stating all of the many, many shots that would be required before traveling to this region. I knew about the malaria, but rabies? Oh, my. Not only that, but I learned it isn’t safe to travel in the northern, western, or southern part of the country. That doesn’t leave much safe territory!

There is no American embassy in Uganda, so nowhere to go if help is needed. And let’s not forget-no good hospitals either. If medical care is required, the injured or ill must travel through the unsafe northern area of the country to get to Kenya, a country recently riddled by violence. Then the warning…enjoy our beautiful parks, but be sure an armed guard accompanies you. Gulp! I debated just pretending I had never gotten this info, but I have to admit Jasper County and Crooked Creek Township began looking better and better. Because I really don’t believe in keeping secrets from my husband, I shared the report with Brad, who immediately started voicing his objections.

The straw that broke the camel’s back occurred a few days later. Brandon and Lindsey were home, and we decided to watch The Last King of Scotland, an Academy Award winner from a few years back. I couldn’t believe it when I discovered the movie was based on a true story….set in Uganda….and it wasn’t a nice place. It was an unbelievably violent place. That did it for me. I’m definitely too scared to travel to a location where anyone would consider skinning someone alive. No doubt, the country has changed since the 1970’s when the events portrayed in the movie occurred, but they weren’t that long ago and many of those atrocious people are probably still alive. I don’t want to go where people do such brutal things.

Does all this mean I’m a chicken or a wimp? Or was it God telling me not to go? After quite a bit of soul searching, I have come to the conclusion that I wanted to go on this trip for all the wrong reasons. The others it seemed were all about sharing the love of Christ. Perhaps my heart isn’t ready for a trip like this since I was all about the books, about just going to Africa. I don’t seem to have the desire and urgency for lost souls that I should have. I’m ashamed to admit it, but it’s true.

So, I won’t be going to Africa this summer. I’m staying in the U.S. counting on God to put me where I need to be. I don’t want to live a “small” life, but I know I must be faithful in the little things before He will give me bigger opportunities.

Good-bye Africa. Hello, Hidalgo!

No comments: