Monday, April 28, 2008

Hope in the Snow by Julie Short

I used to think that crocuses were an annoyance; that they were useless. Sure, they are beautiful but it seems they last only a couple of seconds and they’re gone. Seasons change and with it, sometimes, our perspective. I now see crocuses in a totally different way. I see them as a hope flower, with a mighty message. “Just hang on a little longer-- spring is on its way.” Since Kyra died, I have looked for hope everywhere. I just didn’t expect to find it peeking up through the snow.

We may think what we do has no purpose or we may underestimate the little things we do. A smile, a kind word, a note or card may be a crocus to the person whose life we touch. Maybe that person was running out of hope and you reached out and gave them a bouquet full.

The New Testament is all about encouraging each other: don’t grow tired of doing good, share each others burdens, persevere - don’t give up. When I’m feeling really down and can’t find my hope, I pick up flowers and give them to someone else. And we both receive hope.

God gave us rainbows as a sign of hope and promise but the Greatest hope he gave us was Jesus. Let Jesus shine through you and be hope to the hopeless.

No comments: