Monday, April 28, 2008

Easter Sonrise by Tana LeMay

The sun is shining with a warmth I can feel on my upturned face. The meadowlarks have returned, filling the air with their happy songs. As I look around, I notice the tiny buds on the tree branches. Spring is here, bursting forth with its beauty and new life.

I can't think of spring without reflecting on Easter. It's significance to me has changed over the years. As a child, it meant a new dress to wear to Easter services, accompanied of course, with matching hat, a white purse, and shiny new shoes. After church, we looked forward to the Easter egg hunt with the grand finale of the Easter basket and all its goodies.

As an adult, Easter has much more meaning - the hope and promise of eternal new life in Christ. The Easter sunrise reflects the rising of the Son, victorious over death, bringing hope to the lost and refreshing the weary. How fitting that we celebrate the glories of rebirth and renewal at a time when the earth is waking up from its winter nap, revealing its new spring clothes.

No comments: