Monday, April 28, 2008

Company's Coming by Theresa Zuber

I know you’ve been there. Company is coming tonight and the house is a wreck. What do we have time to do? First, let’s gather all the papers on the table and counter and throw them into a clothesbasket. We’ll have to shove the laundry back into the dryer. Then we can put the basket in the extra room. Next, get the feather duster and hit the high spots in the rooms you’ll be in. Shove everything off the bathroom sink into one of the drawers. If the kids really want that stuff, they’ll find it at some point in time. Run the vacuum, spot mop the kitchen and don’t forget to light every candle in the house, preferably the good smelling kind. Retouch your makeup since the sweat (I mean perspiration) has melted it away. Then as your guests arrive, look completely at ease in your comfortable, welcoming home.

Why do we go through this frenzy just to spend the evening with family or friends? Because they might not love us if they know sometimes our house smells; sometimes the table is stacked with ads, junk mail, and bills; sometimes the toilet is not clean; and some days, we have way too much green stuff in the refrigerator!! Okay, maybe “not loving us” is a bit extreme, but we want to make a good impression on our guests.

When you make Jesus Lord of your life, it’s usually done after much “personal house-cleaning.” Many people say, “When I get ____ (fill in the blank) under control, THEN I’ll become a Christian.” We have to have our “house” in order, because… why??? Do we think that Jesus won’t love us/accept us if we do not? Do we think that Jesus is going to be impressed if we do?? Not. Rev. 3:20 “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” (NIV)

We are so excited when we become “spiritually aware.” Don’t get me wrong - that’s great! Often, excitement is the catalyst that propels us in our Christian walk. However, many start out running and then fall down and never get back up. Consistency is the key. Have you ever spent hours cleaning and organizing? Then two days later “it looks like a tornado’s been through here!” Just like our homes, if you don’t tend to your soul, the same thing happens.

Matt 12:43"When an evil] spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. 44Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.' When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. 45Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked generation." (NIV)

There was room for the evil spirits to return, because this house was “unoccupied.” Jesus was not invited to stay – only to visit. The key to keeping your home in order is a little work every day, consistently, and you’ll prevent the “city dump” look at your house. In the same way, working every day on your spiritual life, will keep your “spiritual house” in order and running smoothly. Reading scripture, listening to worship music, daily devotionals, and quiet time with God are all good tools for the job. This will help to keep your house “swept clean and put in order,” but - it won’t be unoccupied!

We’re not the only ones, preparing for company. Jesus told his disciples, “John 141"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” (NIV) Even Jesus is getting ready for company – you and I. Except, we won’t just be company. We’ve been invited to stay forever. I’m making plans for it, what about you?

Dear Jesus – I can hardly wait to see the place that you are preparing for me. But, in the mean time, I’m trying to keep my spiritual house in order. Forgive me for the times I let worldly clutter crowd you out. Take away any distractions I may have this week. Help me take advantage of opportunitiesyou give me daily for drawing closer to you. And Lord, you don’t need to knock—just come on in!!

No comments: