Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Your Assignment for Today.... by Susan Shull


The Write Sisters recently went on a little get away to San Damiano retreat center in Southern Illinois. www.sandamianoretreat.com The setting was absolutely gorgeous and we had a wonderful time. Being a teacher, I couldn’t help bringing an “assignment” for everyone to work on, and since the girls are so nice, they played along with me.

A few years ago on a teacher listserve, someone suggested doing a “Where I am From” activity with our students. It is taken from a work originally written by Georgia Lyons and requires the kids to use her poem as a model for writing their own. I have been amazed at the quality of the poems my students have written, and I thought the girls would enjoy the exercise too. I was right. Over the next few days, we will post ours on the blog.

I encourage you to write your own “Where I am From” poem!

No comments: