Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Where I am From by Susan Shull


(Modeled after a poem by Georgia Ella Lyons)
I am from cornfields and bean fields
From hogs, cows, and chickens.
From we have planting to do and
30 more acres to harvest.

I am from the October sky
Crisp fall nights and
Millions of twinkling stars.

I am from the vegetable garden,
The string, stakes, and tiller.
Fresh green beans, corn on the cob,
And vine ripened tomatoes.

I am from church Christmas programs,
Finger foods in the basement after services,
And “Thou shalt be saved.”

I am from family secrets only whispered about,
Hair curled tight by new perms and
Brush rollers with plastic picks.

I’m from family reunions,
Homemade ice cream packed in scary dry ice.
From a bunch of bananas at least a yard long,
and no swimming until one hour after we eat.

I’m from hard times and good times
From sleepless nights and
Sweet peace.

I’m from Ted and Alice
And “treat others
The way you want to be treated.”

I am blessed.

No comments: