Sunday, August 10, 2008

Summer Blessings by Susan Shull


There are many things I love about teaching, but one of the best is a 90 day weekend (so named by Marvin Allison!) Here are 10 things I am loving about this summer:

1. Time….to read, think, piddle.

2. Swinging in our porch swing doing my “devotions.” I love having time to leisurely read my Bible, pray, journal, and take notes on whatever Bible help book I am making my way through. I love to take notes-odd, I know!

3. Freezing corn-if you disregard the biting flies and the feeling of having been dunked in a bottle of Elmer’s glue-all that sticky corn sugar, you know. We all gather at mom and dad’s house and spend the day working on it together. I enjoy the conversation, the yummy garden lunch mom always prepares, and the feeling of accomplishment when we are done. It is especially fun for me this year since I have two little granddaughters who are huge corn fans and who will be excited when I serve it to them this winter!

4. Speaking of granddaughters, we have had so much fun together seeing High School Musical at the Muny, the Cardinals, and just hanging out together. They are such a joy!

5. Sunday night-I love Sunday nights in the summer knowing that I don’t have to rush off on Monday morning unless I want to.

6. Nature-I love the smell of the corn as it is pollinating, the beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and the haze surrounding us in the early morning.

7. The food….ah, the food! If there is anything better than fresh green beans, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, even zucchini, I don’t know what it is. I feel so sorry for people who only eat food from a can or package.

8. Fabric-I get giggly inside when I have the chance to sit at my sewing machine and work with fabric.

9. Project Runway- I love this show. It is filled with drama and people who like to sew. I’m almost embarrassed to admit how much I enjoy this program-one of the few I watch on a regular basis.

10. Having Brock home for the summer-I feel so fortunate that he has an internship in Effingham. Since he will be a college senior this year, I know our nest is truly emptying and I will miss having him home for college breaks. He is delightful to be around.

I encourage you to take some time out of your busy schedule and make your own list of summer blessings. God is so good and I am thankful.

No comments: