Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Me First by Susan Shull


Climate change.
Spare change.
Time for a change.
We are the change we’ve been waiting for.

Change is a word that is constantly bandied about in our society. And one thing is for sure-change happens. We often act like that is a bad thing, but some things shouldn’t stay the same.

Since I enjoy reading quotes, I googled quotes about change and found tons of them. I especially liked this one:

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Tolstoy

This one really challenged me because as I was thinking this week about what to write about our topic, I was really tempted to get on my soapbox and do some preaching. I was going to share my opinions about abortion, education, same sex marriage, and politics. I had some ideas about changes others should make and I wanted them done ASAP.

Isn’t it funny how God works? Tolstoy’s quote brought me up short and totally changed my perspective from the great big picture to a very small one-me. What changes do I need to make?

I am going to do some soul-searching today and concentrate on what I could do differently to show the love of Christ to a world that needs to know the only thing in life that never changes is the only thing in life that really matters:

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”John 3:16

No comments: