Friday, August 22, 2008

Seasons of Life by Joyce Schafer


Our word this week is “change” and what an appropriate word this is for this time of year.

Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the trees. We have a tree in our front yard that turns the most beautiful golden color. When I am coming home from work and see this tree I am just amazed at the beauty God creates.

Out in the country the crops are maturing and the combines will soon be busy. This is the time of year a farmer is rewarded for all his hard work. I have many fond memories of helping in the field. Some of my best prayer times were in the cab of a tractor. To me, being close to nature is being close to God.

The schools are once again open and filled with teachers and students. The classrooms that were silent over summer are filled with giggles and noise. Some students look forward to the beginning of the school year while others would like for summer to go on forever. Parents have mixed emotions too. Some who have a child going to school for the first time may shed a few tears. Others with older kids may cry, too—for an entirely different reason.

I am reminded just like the seasons of the calendar year our lives go through seasons of change. In the Spring of our Life everything is fresh and new and we are pretty green when it comes to life experiences.

Then we enter the Summer of our lives. For most of us this time is filled with getting married, raising children and having careers. There simply are not enough hours in the day to get everything done. This stage, like summer, passes way too quickly leaving only memories behind.

I am now in the autumn of my life. This is the time for a lot of physical changes: hair color, age spots, wrinkles and a brain that goes on vacation once in awhile. The good news is— I really don't care. This really is the best years of your life. I have more time to do what I want to do instead of what I need to do. I have never felt closer to God because I have the time to study his word, journal and pray. I am more content and try to live in the moment enjoying all the beautiful blessings our Lord has given us.

The final season is winter. This is a season filled with celebration-Christmas and the beauty of a snow-covered winter wonderland. It can also be a dark season filled with depression and sadness. The choice is ours and with God's help Winter can be a time of celebration of a life well lived and finally a home in eternity.

No comments: