Sunday, June 1, 2008

Friendship by Rachel Pitcher

A friend of mine and I have often discussed that we wished we could just have microchips inserted in our brains. This would enable us to talk to one another whenever we wanted before we forget what it is we had to say and so that it wouldn't be interrupted by children or daily duties. We live 45 minutes apart and with small children don't get much time together. Often when we are together we say, "Go ahead with your story but remind me to tell you about _______ (fill in the blank)." We have so much to say to one another and so little time to say it in. If we are together, the kids are there too and it's hard to keep our train of thought going. Without exception, we can never get enough and the time simply flies! Our husband's marvel at how much we can talk about and for how long.
For us, it's like being at a buffet and having all this good food staring at us but only a dessert size plate to put it on. So we fill up once and when we come back it's all gone; time's up—kitchen's closed. We have so much we want to share and say and we just can't fit it all in!
Sadly, that isn't really at all how my conversations with God are. Judging from human measures it might even appear that we are only acquaintances. Maybe we seem like we used to be friends but haven't really seen one another in awhile. Maybe we don't seem to have anything in common at all anymore. Maybe, we've just lost touch. Correction: Maybe I've lost touch. Ever felt like that?
I always tell our children that "to have a friend, you have to be a friend." We make and keep friends by spending time with them. The way we get to know God is to spend time with Him, because we want to, not because we have to. Praying, worshipping, reading the bible, coming to church, attending bible studies or reading Christian books, these are all ways that we can get that microchip installed with God on the other end.
The bible says we should "hunger and thirst for righteousness" ( Matthew 5:6 ) and I know God wants me to hunger for conversation with him like I do with my good friend. Other friends of mine whom I don't get a lot of time with may think I don't make the time. I'm sure that's how God would see it if he were human. Thankfully, he's not and he knows me better than I know myself. So, even if it's been awhile, my "old friend" - my Redeemer, Savior, Friend - is always ready and waiting for me to slow down, quiet down and have some good quality time with Him. What a friend I have in Jesus. If you haven't met Him, I'd love to introduce you two sometime!

1 comment:

KochersInTheDesert said...

Rachel, I loved your writing about friends. It is so true and a great way to look at how we do or don't make that same kind of effort with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. I had a thought, what if I allowed myself to call or text or email a friend/sister (smile) ONLY AFTER I first had a chat with the Lord? Hmmm, maybe I would actualy talk to HIm more than when my head hit the pillow at night. I may have to give it a try. Thanks for the lightbulb. love ya, big sis Kelly