Sunday, June 1, 2008

Friends by Tana LeMay

We meet many friends throughout our life time. Some are with us for many years, while others come and go. Some will always live in our memories. Others may be so fleeting, the memories hazy, we may not even recall their name. But each leave an impact, teaching us things about ourselves and the world around us.
I met my first friend in kindergarten. Her name was Katie. We were inseparable for the next three years. Katie had a vivid imagination. She taught me to dream, to find the magic in stories and songs. We "filmed" many movies in her backyard. Most involving a damsel in distress, rescued by her knight in shining armor. Yes, we loved those kind of fairy tales, with happy endings.
My friend Diana taught me that pain is a part of loving others. Her family moved to Newton when I was in second or third grade. Diana was a take charge person. Sometimes, a little bossy. She loved to play games; board games, outdoor games, anything with a little challenge. She only lived in Newton for a couple of years. I was heartbroken when she moved away, sure I would never have a friend like her again.
Diana's moving was an opportunity, though. A chance to widen my horizon. I was fortunate to be in a class of kids that got along well with each other. I attended many slumber parties with 10 to 20 giggling, loud, shrill girls. (Those parents were saints, or maybe just plain crazy.)
The first of my lifelong friends came into my life during junior high and high school. The four of us did everything together. You knew where one of us was, the other three would soon follow. We all live in separate communities now, but the strong ties of friendship remain. Time has not dissolved that link. We shared each other's joy of first love, college graduation, marriage, children, and our children's graduations. We've also shared each other's pain - news of debilitating illness, loss of loved ones, employment woes, etc. Miles may separate us, the busyness of life may keep us from speaking for a few weeks/months, but we each know we're only a phone call away.
All relationships require a gift of sacrifice, a willingness to take time to enjoy their lives. I've learned to cherish my friends, to be thankful for their presence, to appreciate whatever time we have together.

Proverbs 17:17 -
A friend loves at all times.

No comments: