Monday, January 9, 2012

The Good News by Joyce Schafer




Luke 2:10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid.  I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.

You got the job. 
I am getting married.  
It is a girl.  
The biopsy showed no cancer. 
 It is a boy.  
She came through the surgery fine.

I love getting good news. It makes me feel positively “gitty”.  So I can only imagine how these shepherds felt when they received THE good news.  I am sure they were afraid even though the angel told them not to be.  Then to realize that they were chosen to hear this good news from an angel sent directly from God, their reaction had to go way beyond “gitty” to feeling completely blessed.  It also was probably a humbling experience for them.  I know if an angel came to me directly from God, I would feel unworthy but I also hope that I would overcome this feeling and appreciate the great honor being given to me. 

But, wait, I think I am given this great honor.  When I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior this was the Best News I could have been given.  I was given eternal life and I was given someone to help me through all the struggles here on this earth. 

Even though I was not one of the shepherds the angel visited on that first Christmas.  I am the Christian that Jesus visits every day of my life and that is truly The Good News.


No comments: