Saturday, December 31, 2011

Burst into Song by Theresa Zuber


Do you enjoy watching the Disney movies where they burst into song as they express their emotions? I know they are kinda corny, but I LOVE them! There is just something endearing to me as these characters pour their feelings and thoughts – perhaps longings - into music and share them with the world. Or maybe they sing a plea to the heavens or just put a voice to their thoughts to comfort themselves.

Before you discount the merits of such things – let’s do a little review! 

After crossing the Red Sea on dry ground:  Ex 15:1 “Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the Lord: ‘I will sing to the Lord, for he is highly exalted.  Both horse and driver he has hurled into the sea.”

After the foundation of the temple in Jerusalem was laid: Ezra 3:11 “With praise and thanksgiving they sang to the Lord:  ‘He is good; his love toward Israel endures forever.’ And all the people gave a great shout of praise to the Lord, because the foundation of the house of the Lord was laid.”

The entire book of Song of Solomon is a love song.  Here is one example:  Song of Sol 1:15 “How beautiful you are, my darling!  Oh, how beautiful!  Your eyes are doves.”

The next passage is Mary rejoicing as she shares with her cousin Elizabeth the news of her pregnancy.  Although the passage reads Mary “said” the heading is “Mary’s song”.  Luke 1:46-49 “And Mary said: ‘My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Might One has done great things for me – holy is his name.’ “

Perhaps if we are living biblical lives we should burst into song a little more often!  Do not hesitate to use the gift of music to express your love, your gratitude, your longings and fear to the Almighty God – Creator of music and to others to share and encourage them!  See you Sunday!

No comments: