Monday, May 16, 2011

I Turn the Page by Susan Shull


In just a few days, I will turn in my keys and walk out of Jasper County Junior High, never to return as a full-time teacher. I have loved being around kids for the last 20+ years, and, of course, like most educators, I think the subject I taught is the most important one. However, I have felt compelled the last couple of years to put down my library books and do something else. I have to admit though that it is a little scary.
                I really want to follow God’s plan for my life, so that played a huge part in my decision to retire early.  However, there have been some really unusual occurrences during the last two years that had me waffling between retiring or staying on. First, our economy took a free fall, then earthquakes, tsunamis, nuclear disasters, and now what seems like rain for 40 days and 40 nights. All of these horrible events had me quite worried about the financial state of our world. Then I realized that surely God wouldn’t go to those lengths to tell me to keep teaching 8th graders another year. Even I’m not that egotistical! Everything that happens across the globe isn’t about me.
                So, I am trusting that God has a plan for me and have submitted my resignation. I’m packing up my room and will soon say good-bye to my 8 hour a day job. I’m trusting God to show me what He wants me to do next, and I pray that I’m wise enough to listen.

2 comments:

for you Beverly Jo Creations said...

It is so scary to listen to God. I have this idea that he will just whisper in my ear. So I feel a little left out and wonder why he doesn't give me some guidance. Then one day something subtle will show me what God has been trying to tell me is there. And then I realize the answer had possibly been there a while and I had not seen it. Then I think DUH me! So look around and be aware!!! Bev

Susan Shull said...

Thanks for the comment, Bev! You are so right. God isn't going to write in the clouds for me to read. I will listen for his small voice in whatever way it comes. susan