Saturday, May 14, 2011

God, Spiders, and Hippopotamus by Joyce Schafer

“Gamma, there’s a spider in my barn” my   little granddaughter tells me and hands me a Kleenex to take care of her problem.  Sure enough there is a spider in the toy barn but you about need a magnifying glass to see it.  She knew regardless of the size of her problem, her grandma would deal with it.  I am reminded that our Lord wants us to bring all our problems to him whether they be the size of a tiny spider or as big as a hippopotamus (a word we love to hear  her  say). ….but do we?  If you are like me,  you have no trouble praying when something major like a serious illness or accident  happens in your family or among your friends.    But do you remember to  pray  when you can’t find  your car keys,   you have a headache,  you have trouble falling asleep   or when you are being pulled in ten  different directions?  God wants to help us  in these situations as well as the major problems of our lives.
 I am a “recovering workaholic” I am trying to slow down,  pray first and then let God help me make the right choices and guide my feet, my hands  and definitely my mouth throughout the day.   Years ago when I was helping my husband farm,  my prayer to God was “Please don’t let me do anything stupid today.”   My prayer today is “When I do something stupid please help me to  laugh about it.”  I figure with all the troubles in the world today we can all use a good laugh---even God.

No comments: