Monday, May 9, 2011

A Child's Fear by Donna Ensign Woods

I had a very vivid imagination as a child
During the day, I laughed and played....and smiled
 
But when bedtime came in the dark of night
My heart and mind trembled in fright
 
Witches and bats lurked behind the attic door
....And under my bed awaited more.
 
Evil little monsters with claws and fangs
Blood thirsty creatures....awaited in gangs !!
 
In the dark upstairs and all alone
The wind became a demon's moan....
 
The brush of branches from a tree
Became demonic beast taunting me.
 
I often lay facing my dresser mirror....
So I could see my entire room----filled with fear !
 
In my closet lived a ghost...
I think I feared it the very most.
 
I imagined it floating around my bed
As I quickly covered my head.
 
Horrific and long was sleepless night
Heart pounding in my ears of fright
 
On fearful nights while laying in my bed
A single prayer played in my head
 
I whispered it over and over till I fell asleep
Because I somehow knew it would protect and keep.
 
Even as a child, the Lord's Prayer was power
To comfort and protect in my fearfilled hour.
 
Though wretched demons surrounded me
Threatening to torture and devour me
 
God sent angels to guard over me
From chains of fear, to set me free.
 
I knew demons were close, but could not touch
Because Father God loves me much !!!
 
And now....I've learned the demons are real
Their sulfer breath I smell and feel.
 
They still taunt and threaten to destroy
Laboring to steal my joy.
 
But I peacefully sleep all night long
God has replaced my fear with His song.
 
As angels stand guard around my bed
The Lord's promise plays in my head.
 
Reminding me there's nothing to fear...
For He Himself stands very near !!!

No comments: