Sunday, February 20, 2011

Holy Spirit - Lead us! by Theresa Zuber

I must confess. I have been looking forward to the day when we are able to hire a music minister. I love what I do and will continue to “work” in worship ministry but I am often frustrated when I visit larger churches and see how their worship blends so seamlessly with the pastor’s theme. How the meditations and specials and just everything flow together when there is a full-time staff person working on such things. We have the talent in our midst (praise God!) and given the time to coordinate that pool of talent – I am excited to see what God can do at Scott Avenue when that day arrives.

However, God convicted me this weekend that I am being discontent with where we are NOW. You see when we are Spirit-led, God can coordinate things in a way that no human can. He can see across time and lay groundwork that we are unable to predict there is a need for.

Take this Sunday for instance. I planned the song service as usual with the sermon in mind as well as the flow of the songs. A year ago I had introduced a song to the praise team called “Enough”; however, we did not learn it until this sermon series. Sunday morning I received a call to let me know that we would not be having the skit that was planned for that day – some of the participants were sick. I had a free video “Life is temporary” that I had Aaron Kurtz download at least 6 months ago but wasn’t sure when we would use it. It fit perfectly with Mark’s sermon on being content. The prayer I prayed between songs coordinated with a scripture that Mark would use in his sermon -unbeknownst to me. Jeff Ford’s communion meditation focused on the busyness of our lives and spending time having a personal relationship with God. This also coordinated perfectly with the “surprise” video. Jeff and I had not talked about his topic or our “theme” for the day. As I pondered how God had pulled all of this together Chad Marshall played “Tis so Sweet to Trust in Jesus” while communion was passed. I smiled. While I had been busy putting pieces together here and there – God had been busy, too; prompting thoughts and actions in others. It is sweet when we trust in Him to take control!

Then Mark began his sermon talking about “cooperating with the Holy Spirit”- working our part under His leading. Hmm. Okay, God, I get it. I’ll work on being content and allow you to use me – allow you to coordinate my efforts with those of others as we allow your Spirit to lead us where you WILL.

“Jesus, Jesus, how I trust him! How I’ve proved him o’er and o’er. Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus – oh for grace to trust him more.”

1 comment:

Susan Shull said...

Theresa-I love this! It is so true!