Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Are both your oars in the water? By Theresa Zuber

One of the first sermons that our son, Andy preached was on “Faith and Deeds.” He had an illustration that I have never forgotten. A man was trying to explain how faith and deeds work together. He got into a small boat and rowed out a ways from the shore. “Pretend that this oar is faith” he said as he used just one of the oars to paddle. The boat turned in a clockwise circle. “This is the progress a man makes when he lives on faith alone.” As he put down the first oar, he picked up the second. He began to row on the opposite side of the boat. “This is what it looks like when a man lives on deeds alone.” The boat began to turn in counter-clockwise circles on the water. “But” the man said, as he picked up both oars, “When you use the two together, they complement one another.” As the man rowed the boat back to shore he stated, “With both faith and deeds working together, you can accomplish something for God.”

James 2:14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.”

The footnote for James 2:14 in my Life Application Bible says, “True faith transforms our conduct as well as our thoughts. If our lives remain unchanged, we don’t truly believe the truths we claim to believe.”

In Philippians 3:2,3 the early Christians were having a hard time getting past the old law and the mentality of earning a place with God. My footnote there says, “What believers do is a result of faith, not a prerequisite to faith… God values the attitude of our hearts above all else…God notices all you do for him and will reward you for it, but ONLY if it comes as a loving response to his free gift of salvation.”

Ephesians 2 8 ”For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

God’s wants us to be so blown away by our salvation that we feel compelled to do good in His name. Our normal response should be an outpouring of gratitude to God that manifests itself in such works as serving others, showering love on others, sharing the gospel with those who don’t understand, encouraging fellow Christians & building his kingdom.

When my children were small, they argued with each other. Sometimes if it got loud enough, or rough enough, I would step in and calm things down. Usually I would demand that they apologize to each other. You’ve heard it before. “SORRY!”-- Said with feeling (except that the feeling is “I don’t want to be apologizing to you, YOU JERK!”) I repeatedly told them that an apology is not enough, there has to be actions to match the words. The apology was worthless unless it was meaningful. It is the same with our faith. Deeds give truth and fullness to our words of faith in God and Christ Jesus.

And like all great scriptures, it ties in with others and bleeds over into other areas. Paul instructs us that faith also works hand in hand with love; that even the greatest, mountain-moving faith is worthless without love. 1 Corinthians 13 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.”

God, I am so blown away by you. Completely in awe that you would choose me. Me. Why – I don’t know, but I’m SO thankful that you did. And now, I can’t do enough for you. Not to try to pay you back, for there’s NO PRICE I could pay that would match the price your son paid for me. I do what I can because I love you. And just maybe, the “things” I do will draw others to you, also. And that would be a gift I would be honored to lay at your feet.

No comments: