Sunday, August 8, 2010

Men in My Life by Joyce Schafer

Over the years, I have been blessed with several special guys in my life and I would like to take this opportunity to honor them.

Even though my father has been gone for many years I still remember his kind and gentle nature whether he was dealing with animals or people. The times I remember most were when orphan animals would need special care and he would bring them into the house to warm up. I also remember how he would quit working and take me to a 4H meeting or band practice and not complain about it. Sunday mornings he would get up early to do chores so that he could take his family to church.

Growing up with three brothers taught me perseverance. I always knew that despite all the teasing and put-downs that they really liked me. It took maturity for them to be able to actually show it. Today I know that if I ever needed anything they are always there for me.

My husband has taught me what real love is. It is being able to talk, cry and laugh about anything. It is about putting others first. I got one of the Good Guys and for that I thank God every day.

As a mother, I have been amazed to watch my sons become grownups. I look back and remember these two little boys playing with their little tractors in the dirt. Today they are all grown-up and spend their days working on great big tractors. The only thing that hasn’t changed is they still get dirty. All I can say is they remind me of their father and that is the best compliment that I can give them.

We are blessed with six grandsons. These boys have been following their fathers and grandpa around from the time they could walk. They too have spent a lot of time playing in the dirt and now are driving tractors and taking care of animals. Will they also grow up to be good fathers and Godly men? I can only do what grandmothers have been doing for many years and that is to pray for them.

Proverbs 20:7 “The righteous man leads a blameless life, blessed are his children after him.”

Happy Father’s Day!

No comments: