Sunday, August 8, 2010

Heart of Gold by Vaneta Andrews

My Dad always signs emails, cards, etc. as “The Grouch” but you can’t judge a book by its cover. My Dad actually has a heart of gold. He would do anything for anybody.

The story begins when my Dad was 38. He had a massive heart attack, spent 4 weeks in the hospital and quit smoking. Then when he was 42 he had 5 by-passes and ten years later another 5 by-passes. A few years ago he had a pacemaker/defibulator put in and last year he had one stint put in. Through all this he never stopped giving.

Dad has taken pictures for years, not just of me or Logan but also of our friends. He always shares the pictures with our friends’ families. He also gave pictures to the year book club and to the local newspaper.

In high school a fellow basketball player of mine didn’t have anyone supporting her so my dad decided to be that supporter. He insisted on taking her with us after games to get our free drink. He often gave her a ride home as well.

My dad never let a “little” chest pain stop him. He practiced softball with me even when I know he really didn’t feel like it. Often times it would be just he and I on the softball field till I was tired and ready to quit. He taught me everything I know except maybe how to “throw like a girl”.

Dad also taught me to ride motorcycles, shoot, hunt and fish. He taught me that you never give up no matter what and you give what you can to others. So even though his heart may not be made of gold it sure is “worth its weight in gold”.

No comments: