Friday, October 9, 2009

Our Worst Enemy by Joyce Schafer


This fall I have watched a Cardinal battle his worst enemy. As I sat on my front porch, I watched this bird fly from a bush, take aim at his enemy in the window, attack, get knocked down, pick himself up and repeat this plan of action over and over again. This went on hour after hour and night after night.

My first reaction was "Boy, what a stupid bird!" Then I started thinking about all the times that I have been my own worst enemy. There have been plenty of times in my life when I have continued on a self-destructive path of eating too much junk food, not exercising, worrying about problems that were out of my control and working when I should have been resting.

As much as I would have liked to explain to this beautiful bird that the enemy in the window was himself, it was not possible. We are lucky. We have a wonderful Savior who can save us from our self-destructive paths. Sometimes it takes us a long time to learn and sometimes we learn the hard way. Usually after repeatedly doing things our way and failing, we finally ask God for help. Wouldn't it be so much easier if we would just ask God first?

No comments: