Friday, October 2, 2009

Country Mouse and Proud of It! by Susan Shull


The most peaceful scene I can imagine is right out my door. However, I didn’t always feel that way. When I was in high school, I was one of those kids who knew I wouldn’t stay in Jasper County, and I certainly wasn’t going to marry a farmer. I was going to fall in love with a 9 to 5’er, live in a beautiful neighborhood, and have a nice mall within 15-20 minutes of my garage.
We did try that life for a while, but when we had Brady, both Brad and I knew we wanted to raise our kids in the country. Brad admitted that he had always really wanted to farm and be his own boss, so back to Hidalgo we came. It wasn’t easy, especially for Brad who worked two jobs for many, many, many years, but I am so glad we made the decision to leave the “city lights” and return to our very own Green Acres!
I love living in the country, where every morning I can enjoy beautiful sunrises and every evening I can be awed by my Creator with mind-boggling sunsets. Very early today, I looked out the window and couldn’t believe the size of the Big Dipper. Amazing.
Some people have accepted the lie of evolution, but I see proof of a loving Heavenly Father everywhere I look. I would give up living near a mall for that any day!

1 comment:

Browningblog said...

I Know EXACTLY how you feel!!! Been there, done that, there is NO PLACE like home! I know we live in Newton, but we are still country compared to what we were when we were gone. I too feel closer to God here. Of course, I don't believe there has been one day go by since we got back to Jasper County that I haven't thanked God for letting it happen!