Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Sacred Privilege by Tana LeMay


I love communion time during our worship service. I think it is so important, it was one of the factors I considered when searching for a church home years ago. I’ve never understood churches that only practice communion once a month or once a quarter. Why would they give up an opportunity to experience this sacred privilege each week?

Reflecting on my actions and attitude of the previous week isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes, I’m tempted to pray, “Lord, forgive me” and leave it at that. Why put my failings into words when he already knows what they were? His blood has already washed me clean. Is it really necessary to voice what I’ve done wrong, the things I should have done or said, but didn’t?

The answer is yes. By facing my sins, naming them, remembering them, they are more real. I did those things. If I’m truly sorry, I should be honest with myself and Jesus. 1 Corinthians, chapter 11, verses 23 through 32 states it best:

23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. 32When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.

No comments: