Sunday, September 21, 2008

Keeper of the Past by Donna (Ensign) Woods


I am a keeper of the past...
Not wanting yesterday to slip from my grasp,
While holding today, so it will last.

Old-time treasures, tucked safely away,
Each one holding a piece of yesterday,
Gentle reminders to give thanks when I pray.

Black and white photos of solemn faces,
Of long ago people and long ago places,
Where hardship and toil has left it's traces.

Keepsakes hidden in Mama's cedar chest...
...Grandma's sparkling broach...her very best.
And a four leaf clover...neatly pressed.

As I sit in Luda's rocking chair,
With Merrill's table beside it there...
I've saved bits and pieces of the past to share.

Tiny stitches on each tattered quilt block...
And the rhythmic chime of an old mantle clock
...Grandma's kettle and my Aunt's blue crock...

Moments in time...gone too soon,
As the setting sun gives way to the moon.
My heart now slows to a simpler tune.

Capture the moments, make them last...
For tomorrow come much too fast,
...For a Keeper of the Past...

1 comment:

Audra Krell said...

I like the purpose of this blog! I enjoyed this poem very much. It created wonderful visuals for me and it flowed nicely.