Sunday, September 21, 2008

Legacy by Joyce Schafer


A short while ago I was given a precious gift— a tattered book with my mother's name written in it and dated 1931. It joined a collection of a stained and well-worn notebook filled with my mother's recipes and my first bible, a gift from my parents.

I also have my mother's special pin-a gift from her kids with all the birthstones of her children and grandchildren. My niece's daughter has asked me if she could wear Grandma's pin at her wedding. She is the first of this generation to walk down the aisle. Is she starting a new tradition? Only time will tell.

My favorite gifts from my sister are a Heidi book she gave me Christmas 1960 and a 1970 Home extension cookbook which contains some of her recipes. She would always include pictures of her family in Christmas cards over the years. I remember complimenting the ladies who prepared her funeral dinner on the homemade rolls. My sister was smiling from above when they said this was her recipe.

Even though my mother and sister have been gone for many years the legacy they left for future generations was a love of reading, a love of cooking, a love of family and a love of church and God.

I really had not given much thought to my own legacy until I started writing this paper. What legacy will I leave my family?

My favorite pieces of jewelry are my wedding ring, my mother's ring, and my bracelet with all my grandkids birthstones. My free time is spent attending my grandkids' events, reading, writing, cooking and helping out at church.

It would seem that my legacy will be the same as my family members who have already completed their journey her on earth-a love of family, a love of reading, a love of cooking and above all a love of God and church.

No comments: