Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Worship Spotlight 12 28 09


2010 is upon us. What hopes do you have for this New Year? The age old resolution: “I’m going to get into shape” (which we all know means eating healthier and exercising more.) Or perhaps you plan on taking control of your finances; spending more quality time with your family; making new friends or reconnecting with old ones; and the list goes on and on. Yet, it seems to be the same list year after year, doesn’t it?

This year I’m going to try to read my Bible more. Let me restate that in a less intimidating way, “TODAY I’m going to read my Bible.” And tomorrow, I plan on doing the same. I’m sure there will be days that my busyness crowds out the time I plan to set aside to read God’s Word, but the next day I am determined that I will start over. And at the end of ‘10, I hope to have done better than I have before.

You see, I desire a closer relationship with my Lord and Savior. The best way to get to know Him more intimately is to spend time reading the love letters He’s written to me. It’s how I will come to appreciate the nuances of his character; how I will learn to see His hand in my life and the lives of others; how I will know what He requires of me – what He desires from me – what He plans for me. You see, it’s difficult to worship what you do not know.

There are many tools around to help you read through the Bible in a year. A couple years ago Mark challenged us to do just that and he provided us with a reading chart to accomplish it. I started out strong but fell behind and became discouraged. This year I’ll start again and I hope you will join me.

I’ve decided to use the “One Year Chronological Bible NLT” (available at www.christianbook.com or any Christian book store.)This Bible is divided into 15 minutes of reading for each day. This Bible places events in the order in which they happened rather than in book order as usual. There are also online Bible guides available to help you. Look through your Bible, it may have a chart listed for you already. Open up your Bible, God has something to share with you today.

1 comment:

Susan Shull said...

Theresa-I used that Bible year before last when I read through the Bible. I found it very useful and interesting to read the scriptures in the order they occurred. I am thinking about reading the Message through this year, but I may just do my NIV. Good luck on your journey. Maybe we should start a fb group to help hold one another accountable!