Sunday, December 13, 2009

I Remember by Lori Smith


I’ve loved Christmas ever since I can remember. What child doesn’t? I loved the traditions and always wanted each Christmas to be just like the last. I remember spending Christmas Eve cleaning the house for Santa because Mom said he wouldn’t leave presents at a messy house. Clever, wasn’t she? I remember my Dad sneaking in that last minute gift for my Mom and always asking one of us girls to wrap it. I remember our family friends bringing us their yearly cookie tray filled with cookies, M&M’s, and Hershey’s kisses. I remember being allowed on Christmas Eve to open just one gift, which was usually clothes to wear at Christmas services that evening. I remember the sound of the men unfolding those old wooden chairs at church when the pews were all full. I remember my brothers and sister teasing me about stealing my “special Christmas spot” the next morning……and I remember always being the first one awake only a few hours later and claiming that “special spot” which was located directly on top of the only heat vent in the living room. Most of all, I remember the first sight of all those gifts under the glistening tree and that magical feeling that I cannot begin to express with words.

Christmas brings so many memories, but do we stop to remember why we are celebrating? Do we remember baby Jesus making His arrival on that glorious day and claiming His “special spot” here on Earth? Do we remember why God sent Him to us and the sacrifices that He would later make for us? Do we remember that without Him, we are nothing? Do we remember to thank Him every day for the blessings we have received? If not, then there’s no better time to start than right now. And always remember that “Every good and perfect gift is from above.” James 1:17. Happy Birthday, Jesus!

No comments: