Sunday, January 11, 2009

A New Day by Tana LeMay

The start of a new year is seen by many as a time for new beginnings, a chance for a fresh start. Many celebrate the turning of the annual calendar with a list of resolutions. I have rarely made a list for myself. Not surprising for someone who hates the interview question, “Please share with me your 5 and 10 year goals”. I’d rather approach life day by day. Don’t get me wrong – goals and dreams are important. It’s healthy to have something to reach for, to look forward to. However, when it comes to making changes in my life, I have found applying them day by day works best for me. Even then it’s a struggle. In spite of my desire to make these changes, each day I find myself slipping into accustomed habits and attitudes. Paul writes of the same struggle in Romans 7 when he said the things he wants to do, he doesn’t and the things he doesn’t want to do, he does.

Several months ago, someone in my ABF class said he makes an effort to live each day intentionally. That statement really struck me. And it led me to ask myself, how does a person live intentionally? I’ve come to believe it is with a fresh start each day, asking for God’s guidance through the struggles and challenges of the day and keeping His perspective at the forefront. I must remember to celebrate with Him my successes (which come through Him). And when I fail, I must ask for His forgiveness and continued help.

I have to remind myself I haven’t arrived yet. The race is still ongoing and Jesus is waiting for me, and you, at the finish line – crown in hand. Some day, I want to say “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. “ 2 Timothy 4:7-8

No comments: