Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Worship Spotlight 3/21/11

I have friends who are runners; some have even trained for marathons. I say they have “trained” for it because you don’t just go out and run 26 miles and expect to finish the race. First they make the decision to run; then after they succeed at some distance running they plan to work toward the goal of competing in – and hopefully finishing – a marathon. It takes planning, dedication, discipline and time.


When it comes to your walk, your work, your worship – have you set goals? Where do you want to be 6 months from now when it comes to your relationship with God, with others in your church family, with regard to your level of commitment and service? What about your level of worship? Just like those who run, we must train ourselves to become what we desire to be. It will take some thoughtful pondering and searching to truly evaluate ourselves. “Where am I at spiritually?” “What is my level of knowledge of scripture?” “Where do I feel God calling me?” “How do I feel led to serve?” “Do I struggle to let myself surrender in my worship of the Lord of heaven and earth?” “What can I do to work toward those goals?”


Just like marathon running it takes planning, dedication, discipline and time to fulfill these dreams we have for ourselves and our church. But it starts with each one of us striving to be more today than we were yesterday. Will you look back at the end of 2011 and say, “This is the year that I really grew!” or will it just be more of the same? You have what it takes! Now, what will you do about it?


1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (CEV) 24You know that many runners enter a race, and only one of them wins the prize. So run to win! 25Athletes work hard to win a crown that cannot last, but we do it for a crown that will last forever. 26I don't run without a goal. And I don't box by beating my fists in the air. 27I keep my body under control and make it my slave, so I won't lose out after telling the good news to others.

No comments: