Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I Am by Joyce Schafer


(Modeled after a poem by Georgia Ella Lyons)

I am from John Deere tractors and Chevy trucks
I am from barns full of cows, pigs, chickens and kitty cats
I am from my dogs, Laddy and Stubby and my pet calf, Rowdy
I am from barefeet, mud puddles, bee stings and mosquito bites
I am from paper dolls, baby dolls, dress up clothes and tea sets
I am from hoeing in the garden, berry picking, gathering eggs and feeding pigs
I am from homemade noodles, donuts, bread and pies
I am from my grandmother's wood stove and her spiced peaches and
My grandfather's rocking chair and wooden cane
I am from my father's overalls and straw hats and
My mother's print dresses and big aprons.
I am from my sister's hand-me-downs and
My brother's put-me-downs
I am from learning to sew in 4-H, playing my saophone in the band and singing in church
I am from my pink bedroom with little pink chair, green frog, and white fluffy dog.
I am from work before play, early to bed and early to rise, get good grades,
dress like a girl and don't talk back.
I am from God and I am blessed

No comments: