Monday, August 15, 2011

Trust written by Donna (Ensign) Woods


Recently, Madison, my 4 year old granddaughter, went shopping with me.
It was a miserably hot day, like we have had so many of this summer.
Seeking as much mercy from the heat as possible,
I parked the van at the far end of the parking lot,
under a tiny little shade tree.
As we exited the cool comfort of the store,
we stepped out of the comfort zone into the blazing furnace-like heat.
Maddy immediately slipped her tiny little hand into mine.
She boldly announced that she was walking all the way to the van with her eyes closed!
I glanced down, and sure enough, her eyes wer squeezed tightly shut,
pony tail bouncing with every step,
face turned up toward the sky
with a beaming smile on her precious little face.
She walked confidently, with big steps,
keeping stride right along side of me....
absolutely no hesitation, no fear...in total trust.
I said,"Oh Maddy do you trust ME to lead you safely ??"
"Do you trust ME to protect you from moving cars?...
and to prevent you from running into parked cars?"
"Do you trust ME to catch you if you stumble and start to fall????"
She smiled even bigger, turning her head towards me,
eyes still tightly closed and said,"YEP!!!"
My heart flooded with an emotion that no words can describe !!!
....For her to trust my love so completely, without doubts...
without fears...without hesitation...
To boldly and confidently take one step after another....
without "seeing" where she was stepping...
Not knowing what dangers or obstacles may block her way
or threaten her from the left or right....
My heart danced a joy only a mother or grandmother can know....
....And somewhere deep in my soul, I heard my Father God whisper....
"Take MY hand and trust ME as fearlessly as Maddy trusts you..."
My heart skipped a beat, as I recognized the voice of All Creation...
and I realized, once again, God was using a little child to teach me.
I was not leading Maddy....SHE was leading me !!!!
So many treasured lessons we learn from a child !!
I guess that is why God reveals His secrets to little children....
Why He wants us to come to Him as little children....
Why a little child will lead them...lead us...lead me.
Because only a child can trust with all their heart....
The harder I try to teach my grandchildren about the love of Christ....
the more THEY teach ME about the love of Christ....
".....Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them,
for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these....
I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom
of God like a little child will never enter it."
Mark 10:14 & 15

No comments: