Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lesson Plans by Susan Shull


Some people are born teachers. A few days ago, many, many of us gathered to pay our last respects to one of those people, Sara Benton.

Sara was one of those individuals whom everyone seemed to know. Friendly and easy to talk to, she was interested in people. Having taught kindergarten for 34 years, she influenced lots of Jasper County children and parents. Perhaps her teaching really began when she retired and shared her battle with illness through her email updates and amazing encounters with those God put in her path.

I’ve been acquainted with her for years and years, but at her memorial service, I discovered that I didn’t really know her. The minister who preached her funeral came to the podium with a stack of Sara’s journals. Her service consisted mainly of his reading her own words to us-words declaring her love and trust in the Lord. What an amazing testimony of His enduring love and care, and of her faith during her struggle with a hateful disease!

Sara’s words convicted me of my judgmental spirit. When am I going to really surrender my sometimes mean-spirited ways and realize in my heart and head that I’m not responsible for other’s actions, and I don’t know what is going on in their lives? I want to love people without judging them. I’m worthy of judging no one.

Sara attended our church and played the keyboard in the praise band, but she was not there every Sunday. I found out at her funeral that she played the piano not only at SACC and Plainfield churches, but at many different churches. Because of this, she was able to influence and be influenced by many different Christians. She was able to use her long battle with cancer to share what God was doing in her life with numerous people. She wasn’t afraid to do that. We saw the proof in a packed church with a diverse group of Christians gathered to pay their respect.

It was obvious that this lady poured out her heart in her journals, and the outpouring was a good one. Our words can demonstrate a heart filled with love or hate, and hers showed her love of the Savior, even when she didn’t understand why she was experiencing the challenges of this life.

I’m sure many were touched by what they heard. I pray those words will lead someone to take the step that will change his/her life forever and accept the free gift of salvation. I am sure that was one of the goals of Miss Benton’s last lesson plan.

Thank you for the example, Sara. We will miss you.

No comments: