Monday, September 21, 2009

Freedom to Hope by Tana LeMay


One of this week’s devotionals was centered on Galatians 5:1: It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
What has God given me the freedom to do? He has given me the freedom to live in hope.
I’m not talking about an unrealistic hope that life will always be well and good. We live in a fallen world where pain and sorrow is a part of living. We’ll all experience it during parts of our lifetime. The hope I’m talking about is the hope that comes when we walk with Jesus; the faith of knowing he is in control. I can walk in the assurance of my future in God’s hands. And when I fall, which happens nearly every day, Jesus is there to help me up, to wipe the dirt away and to get my feet moving again. When the valley is deep and dark, he’s there beside me, holding my hand and encouraging me to keep walking.

I came across the following in a novel by Brock and Bodie Thoene, “The answer is that you must simply keep living. Embrace whatever God sends your way. Sorrow and joy. Trust that you are not here by accident. Every moment, every event in your life has a purpose for the welfare of eternity if you love God.”

13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3: 13-14

No comments: