Sunday, July 12, 2009

Summertime...and the Reading is Easy by Susan Shull


When I am stressed, watch-out if I am anywhere books are sold. I will look and look and buy several. I might also stop at the library and go straight to the new book shelves-the ones you have to pay 25 cents a week to read- grabbing at least two. I do all of this knowing I don’t have the time to read these little treasures. It doesn’t matter. I become an obsessed woman searching for a feeling-a feeling of escape, a feeling of comfort, a feeling of SUMMERTIME. Knowing I have good books stacked up waiting to be read makes me feel more peaceful. Am I weird or do other people feel the same way?
During my 90 day weekend, I enjoy opening the latest offerings of my favorite authors and becoming totally immersed in the characters and settings being described. I forget all about my worries and completely relax.
I know in our world we have many distractions and ways to be passively and actively entertained. I’m sure many of the students in whom I have tried to foster a love of reading during the school year will not pick up a single book during June, July, and August. Some will even brag about it. These comments make me really, really, really sad. When I hear adults say similar things, it makes me sick. Reading is a skill that needs to be practiced and parents who never read probably don’t realize it. What kind of reader will their children turn out to be?
I’m not upset that the kids might not read the latest Newbury or Caldecott winners or even that they might not read and enjoy a classic book for their age group. I am upset that if they do not practice reading, these children, who will soon become adults responsible for spreading the truth of God’s love, may not learn to read and comprehend and think well enough to love reading their Bible. We live in scary times when many people are obsessed with being “spiritual”. Satan is working overtime trying to take the place of God in our lives. If we don’t want to be deceived by the crazy, false philosophies being presented all around us, we and our children must know what God’s word says. We can’t depend on what the preacher on TV says, what our own preachers say (sorry Mark and Andy!) or even what our parents tell us. Each of us has to dig into the Bible and learn for ourselves what God teaches in his love letter to us.

II Timothy 2:15 says…
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

If we are going to “correctly handle the word of truth,” we are going to have to study it for ourselves. The first settlers of our country wanted their children to get an education so that they could study the scriptures. Perhaps not many in education today would claim that as a primary goal, but many Christian educators do. As Christian parents, I hope that is your goal too. Please don’t let another day go by without encouraging your kids to pick up a book and get engrossed in the pages. Set a good example for them by modeling the importance of reading, reading not only secular material, but most importantly your Bible. If they see you read, they are more likely to value books.Don’t just encourage your child to be a good athlete. Encourage him to be a good reader

No comments: