Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Is Your Prayer Life Unplugged? by Theresa Zuber


I went to my bookshelf because I knew that I had a book about “prayer killers” (Sins that put a ceiling on our prayers.) Well – not only did I find “Partners in Prayer” the book I was looking for, I found “The Power of a Praying Wife,” “The Power of a Praying Parent,” “Lord, Teach me to Pray in 28 Days,” “Prayer”, & “The Prayer of Jabez.” Do you sense a theme here???

I know that I’m not the only one struggling with prayer. (Why would there be so many books about it?) I know that many people struggle with consistency in their prayer life, what to pray, how to pray, faith in prayer and the list goes on and on. I guess part of my problem is that I sometimes feel powerless in my prayers. I am willing to pray and do. If it is something that I feel is within God’s will, I have faith. But if it’s something I’m unsure about - I just feel like “if God’s will is what is best, and He is in control, then who am I to try to sway Him? And why would He change His mind for ME?” (I probably seem like the little child who says, “I know you’re not going to let me, but can I go swimming today, please?”)

On Max Lucado’s Worship CD “Opening Windows” he tells a story of buying desks with his wife and small daughters. His youngest daughter didn’t understand that they would not take the desk home that day. He tells how his daughter went about changing his mind. She didn’t nag him or whine until he gave in; she earnestly showed him, how much it would mean to her. The clencher came when she reentered the store with her arms spread open wide and said, “Daddy, I measured. It will fit in the trunk.” He goes on to say that her having the desk was within her father’s will. It was just going to be in a few weeks instead of that day. So, when he could see how much it meant to her, the Lucado family took home a desk that day. God loves us like that. God wants us to be happy. And sometimes, God moves as a direct result of our prayers to Him.

The book I mentioned earlier “Partners in Prayer” by John Maxwell mentions 10 Common Prayer Killers and the associated scriptures. As you read through them, see what areas YOU may struggle in. But don’t just acknowledge where your problem areas are – Do something about it!! And when you see me – ask if I am, too!

Prayer Killer #1: Unconfessed Sin
Psalm 66:18 “If I had not confessed the sin in my heart, my Lord would not have listened.” (NLT)

Prayer Killer #2: Lack of Faith
Matthew 21:22 “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (NLT)

Prayer Killer #3: Disobedience
1 John 3:21 “Dear friends, if our conscience is clear, we can come to God with bold confidence. 22And we will receive whatever we request because we obey him and do the things that please him. 23And this is his commandment: We must believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as he commanded us.” (NLT)

Prayer Killer #4: Lack of Transparency with God and Others
James 5:16 “Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and wonderful results.” (NLT)

Prayer Killer #5: Unforgiveness
Matthew 6:14"If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. 15But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.” (NLT)

Prayer Killer #6: Wrong Motives
James 4:3 “And even when you do ask, you don't get it because your whole motive is wrong--you want only what will give you pleasure.” (NLT)

Prayer Killer #7: Idols in our Lives
(The author points out that idols come in many forms: money, careers, sports, pleasure. It’s an issue of what is more important – or gets more attention - than God.)Ezekiel 14:3"”Son of man, these leaders have set up idols in their hearts. They have embraced things that lead them into sin. Why should I let them ask me anything?” (NLT)

Prayer Killer #8: Disregard for Others
John 13:34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” (NIV) 1 Peter 3 exhorts husbands and wives to be considerate to one another “so that nothing will hinder your prayers.” (NIV)

Prayer Killer #9: Disregard for God’s Sovereignty
Matthew 6:9"This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” (NIV)

Prayer Killer #10: Unsurrendered Will
John 15:7 “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.” (NIV)

God I am ashamed at my lack of faith in your promises to answer my prayers. I know that my lack of faith takes the power out of my prayers, just like unplugging the TV. Help me to comprehend that I am THAT important to you; important enough that you would not only listen to me, but that you WILL REACT to the cries of my heart. Help me. Just like an alcoholic going back to the bottle, I keep coming back to this same problem: Ineffective prayer, Hopeless prayer, Helpless prayer, Surface prayer. Change me. I am looking with great anticipation for what you’ll do in my life next!

No comments: