Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dream BIG by Theresa Zuber


“Are your dreams for yourself as big as God’s purposes for you?” This question has stuck in my mind since Mark asked it in a recent sermon. What a loaded question that is!

I’ve heard it said that our plans should be so big that without God’s help they would fail. I dream, but I don’t think I dream THAT big. Instead of living in the open sunshine of the verse “all things are possible,” (Matt 19:26) I tend to take shelter under the umbrella of Murphy’s Law: “If something bad can happen, it will.”

There are times when I have big dreams – but then Satan showers me with a dose of reality. “That will never happen,” he whispers. “You’re not good enough, smart enough, talented enough…” “No one will want to read what you have to say!” “You could never pull that all together.”


But I return time and again to God’s promise to the Israelite people in Jeremiah 29:11 “I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” I claim it for myself since Phil 2:13 states “for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.” And Eph 2:10 “For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Then, I begin to dream big once again. And if God’s hand is in it – my dreams will succeed.

Eph 3:20-21 “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”

No comments: