Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rest on My Shoulder by Theresa Zuber

I was listening to Rebecca St. James’ song, “Quiet you with my love.”
It inspired me with this picture of God as my loving Father, trying to comfort me.
Hope it inspires you!

“Come to me all who are weary And I will give you rest.
Be still my child---rest awhile. And I’ll quiet you with my love.
Rejoice over you with my song, With my song.”

Imagine a little girl, she’s tired and grumpy. Her long blonde tendrils are tangled, and in some places, clinging to her skin where beads of moisture have formed from sweat. Her little legs are weary from the long walk where she fell and scraped her knee. You can see the evidence of this in the new Mickey Mouse bandaide and the fresh tears on her hot pink cheeks. Her daddy picks her up effortlessly and begins to comfort her. As he sits down with her in the rocking chair, he whispers, “Lay your head down on my shoulder and rest. You’ve had a hard afternoon.”

While rocking gently back and forth, he pats her on the back, and smoothes down her flyaway hair. As she begins to relax, he encourages, “There, there, just close your eyes and let daddy take care of it.” And as she follows his soft direction, listening to the murmur of his chest as he hums a little tune, she forgets how tired her little legs are. She stops thinking about the stinging of her knee. As her little mind floats away with the clouds, thoughts of exasperation and frustration disappear and are replaced with a calming peace. And finally, in complete trust and abandon, she lets the weight of her entire body rest completely on her Father as his strong, steady heartbeat lulls her to sleep.

Isn’t that a nice picture? You can almost envision it can’t you? And you already know where I’m going…

Isaiah 30:15 “This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says: ‘In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength,’ “

Numerous times in scripture, God refers to us as his “children,” his “beloved.” We’re instructed, “cast your cares upon the Lord.” (Psalm 55:22.) He tells us that “my yoke is easy and my burden light.” (Matt 11:30.) That “he knew us before we were formed” (Psalm 139:13-16.)

It doesn’t sound to me like, “oh yeah I know Theresa Zuber (say your name here :) I know who you’re talking about.”

It’s more like “I’ve been making plans for you, way before you were ever conceived. I’ve loved you all along. I’ve been longing for the day that you would understand and love me back! I watched you grow since conception. I still have the first feeble prayer you prayed- it’s hanging on my refrigerator. And the day you claimed my son as your savior and were baptized, we threw a huge party in heaven. I have such blessings and surprises in store for you if you’ll only ask. I want to spend some quality time with you so I hope you have time for me today. I’ll be waiting here for you. You’ll recognize me. I’m the one carrying your burdens.

Oh don’t worry-they aren’t heavy to me. Daddies are very strong, you know. Let me take care of them for you, I don’t mind.”

Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God;”

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
and I will give you rest.”

Zeph 3:17 “The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.”

Take some time today to crawl into your Father’s lap. It’s the most comfortable place in the world!

Thank you, God for such a beautiful picture.Thank you for carrying my burdens. Thank you for watching over me – always. Thank you for giving me strength to carry on. Open my heart & mind to You so I can feel Your quiet presence and hear you rejoice over me in song.

No comments: